Saturday 20 March 2010

Chennai: Take it OR Leave it!

I recently had a mini trip to Chennai on the pretext of a cousin's wedding. Well, the hidden meaning of course was a loud, extravagant reunion of sorts among relatives, family friends and others! Personally, I am an ardent lover of South Indian weddings. I mean I thoroughly enjoy the bling, the glamour and all the gossip behind the screens. However, attending this function was a big concern to me considering my existing "Chennai is yuck" kind of an attitude and "Geee....I'm never going to Chennai" mindset.

Nevertheless, I did make it in one piece to the city and to the function. But as I spend those two days in that frying hell, I couldn't help but notice every little thing that's a part and parcel of Chennai. Starting from the railway station, to the taxi/auto drivers; they are real specimens to observe! Trust me. I still remember rambling myself out of the super crowded Chennai Central station and suddenly found myself surrounded by atleast a million drivers waiting to take me on. "Amma enge ponum?", "Amma taxi venuma?"...when my grey cells managed to understand all these one-liners simultaneously at light speed, I looked up and said with a smirk, "Vandam". However, the minute i asked them directions to the car park, they all fleeted away in a jiffy as though I was a ghost waiting to pig out at them.

And even weirder are the people (only those that I encountered during my stay so ignore the generalization). I mean they take their own sweet little time to scan you upfront when you are introduced. I understand it as a mere expression of "Oh, look at her/him! Where has she/he come from?". Before I start sounding like an absolute complaint box, I have met blokes of this nature everywhere but what sets the Chennaites apart is the funny way they do this act!

Despite the pot boiling heat, the meter-less auto rides, the trying to shoo away cows and buffalos from the middle of the road, the unbeatable and over-filling kalyanam saapadu, the lavish glittery silk sarees and the conveniently uptight veshtis, the not so clean yet loved beaches, the endless idlis, dosas and upmas, Chennai is a unique place after all. I mean for a nothernized Tamil brahmin like me, it turned out to be a pleasant (seriously) surprise and a refreshing outing from the usual metro fun and frolic. At the offset, all those (including me) who often under-estimate this city for obvious reasons, could well be charmed by the warmth and "being loved" feeling that one gets here.

6 comments:

  1. lovely write up da... but u still havent seen chennai yet.. ! :) and i mean it... u had a glimse of what this place could offer... !

    Chennai awaits your next trip ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I quite don agree with a few things da!! :) well written...I would agree wit Ratz... u havent quite seen Chennai yet....!! usual metro fun?? :-s!! I quite don get wat tat cud mean!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey happened to stumble upon your post..the write up is very involving..there is an overt ease and freshness in the style of writing...that chennai has very few choices of beer writes of the city without a second thought..and yeah, i must say i kinda got hooked on to your postings...i guess i will keep reading.

    ReplyDelete